Jonathan Pinnock - Writer of Stuff

NO SOONER THE WORD THAN THE FICTION

The Bridport Prize

Every year without fail since 2007, I’ve sent in an entry or two to the Bridport short story prize, essentially regarding the fee as a charitable donation. Given the number of entries involved, I’ve always thought of the odds of making any kind of impression as being absolutely minimal – a sort of literary, slightly less random equivalent of the National Lottery.

This year, for the hell of it, I sent in a couple of entries for the poetry prize for the first time. And today I heard that one of them, “Choking Hazard – Small Parts”, wasn’t in the prizes but had made the shortlist. I know from looking at previous years that it’s probably quite a long shortlist, but I am still pretty gobsmacked by this. And also, I have to say, really rather chuffed, because one of my writing goals for this year was to get on a Bridport shortlist. I just hadn’t expected it to be with a poem.

Today was one of those days when you can believe that almost anything can happen.

13 Comments

1. Ooodles of congrats John, yes the shortlist is loooong – but its a fraction of the normal 8000 poems that get sent in.

Vxx

2. admin

September 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Thanks, Vanessa – and congrats back on your TWO shortlisted poems!

Did you really say 8000? I knew it was in the thousands, but wow.

3. well it was last year, and the year before, I believe.

The total number of entries last year was 14500 plus, according to the organisers, and poetry slightly outstrips short fiction in terms of numbers….

4. admin

September 29, 2010 at 8:48 am

Wow again! Thanks for that, Vanessa :)

5. Well done again, Jonathan, and on the Murky Depths.

Your versatility is astonishing.

6. admin

September 30, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Thanks, Sherri :) I just like trying different things!

7. That’s fantasic news – many congratulations. I’m not jealous at all, oh no!

8. admin

October 1, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Thanks, Simon!

9. Does this mean if I haven’t had a letter, I probably haven’t been shortlisted? :(

Although, I did enter under short shorty.

- not hoping in vain
    ems

10. *sigh*

I meant, ”short story.” I promise I can spell.

:)ems

11. admin

October 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Hi ems, and thanks for dropping in! As far as I can tell, everyone who’s on any of the shortlists has been notified by now.

Do you enter other writing competitions? Have a look at my next-post-but-one if you don’t! Bridport isn’t the only one :)

12. Congratulations Johnathan!:) And congratulations to Vanessa. :)
    I was once pretty chuffed too, but that some years ago – 2006 – when a poem of mine got into the loong shortlist. That was my one and only submission that year. It’s expensive for me because I have to count in ruppees!

13. admin

October 11, 2010 at 9:01 am

Thanks Rumjhum, and nice to see you here – I always enjoy your poems on EDP! Guess I’m about 4 years too late, but congrats for 2006 anyway :)